Current Location: Articles > St. Andrew
West Side Detroit Polish American
And Ss. Peter and Paul Parish, Warrendale, Celebrate
90th Anniversary of St. Andrew Parish, Detroit,
Sunday, November 28, 2010
Ninety years ago, the Catholic Church at
7060 McGraw on Detroitís west side was founded by residents of the
McGraw-Chopin neighborhood, who established their parish in record time.
The original church building was constructed in a remarkable 15-1/2 working
days. St. Andrewís first pastor was Rev. Maximilian Gannas (1920-1923).
The Felician Sisters were present from 1926 to 2002 and there were 15
Felician principals throughout the years. In 1949, an activities building
was constructed. The existing, current structure was built in 1956. Sadly,
the church closed permanently in August 2008. Had it remained open, this
year, 2010, would have marked its 90th anniversary.
To commemorate the anniversary, the West
Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society and Ss. Peter and Paul
Catholic Church in the Warrendale District of Detroitís west side held a
memorial Mass on Sunday, November 28, at noon. The Mass was concelebrated
by Ss. Peter and Paulís Pastor, Rev. Jerry Pilus, and Msgr. Stanley Milewski,
Chancellor Emeritus of the Orchard Lake Schools, an alumnus of St. Andrew.
Many of the parishioners from St. Andrew
moved on to become parishioners of Ss. Peter and Paul Parish following the
closure of St. Andrew. At the end of the final Mass at St. Andrew in August
2008, the statue of St. Andrew was carried out of the church by St. Andrew
parishioner Robert Janashousky, who led a sad procession. That statue now
resides beside the altar at Ss. Peter and Paul.
After the memorial Mass on Sunday,
November 28, there was a cake and coffee reception in Ss. Peter and Paulís
reception hall. A beautiful cake made by WSDPAHS member and St. Andrew
alumnus Lawrence A. Choraszewski was enjoyed by nearly 100 guests, and a
display of St. Andrew memorabilia was presented by Society member and St.
Andrew alumna Lorraine Kasper. WSDPAHS Vice President & Executive
Director/Secretary Laurie A. Gomulka greeted everyone and thanked all for
attending. Ss. Peter and Paul Business Manager Robert Janashousky expressed
his appreciation to everyone and recalled his memories of St. Andrew. Msgr.
Milewski spoke about his memories of St. Andrew, and many St. Andrew alumni
reminisced about their memories of the neighborhood and attending school and
church at St. Andrew. It was a delightful afternoon.